This is a departure from our usual posts in that I’m going to get all geeky and technical. If you’re not a member of RocNaNo you might as well go read something else, because none of this will have anything to do with you.
If, on the other hand, you are a member and you’re not already signed up as an Author on this blog, well what are you waiting for?! Send me your info and I’ll get you set up. Do it now!
Now, about adding your eBook to this blog …
First, I’m assuming you have several things already in hand:
- You’ve written a one-line premise for your book. (There was a writing challenge on this very topic!)
- You have a cover image for your book.
- You have prepared your book for publication and have it hosted somewhere. (I’m currently partial to LeanPub, but Amazon, Kobo, or Nook Press also work. Whatever works for you!)
Here’s the process I’d like everyone to follow:
- Start a New Post, and make the Title the same as the title of your book. No extra words, just the book’s title.
- Write your sales pitch for your book – short paragraph description, whatever. It’s your post so go ahead and pitch your book!
- Add the cover image to your post,
and on the Insert Media dialog check to make sure your cover image is the Featured Image. This is done by clicking on the Set Featured Image link in the upper left of the dialog. [Changes to WordPress have made the Featured Image option work differently as of 8/29/2013, so don’t bother doing this.]
- Make sure your image links to wherever you have the book hosted so people can buy it. Also make sure the link opens a new window, please.
- Check the eBook category for this post.
- In the upper right of the screen is a Screen Options tab. Open that up and make sure that Excerpt is checked so that the Excerpt field is visible at the bottom of the form.
- In that Excerpt field put your one-line premise.
- Make sure everything looks good, and Publish your post!
If everyone follows this process our Publications page will give a nice listing of all the eBooks we have. And wouldn’t that be a good thing to have?
- Self-Published eBooks Account for 12% of the Entire Digital Market (goodereader.com)
- Read all about it! Kobo eBooks App and New Social eReading App are coming (blogs.blackberry.com)